View Single Post
February 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM
DOh!
I would go with his comfort level. That's what we do.
You can just start out and if he's just not up to it, you can always stop for the day. I always go with what each kiddo needs. If someone is sick or just generally having a bad day, taking it off isn't really a big deal for us. We already go over the yearly required hours for this state by April(after starting in September usually). So I'm not worried about that at all. This happens to be one state where they are meticulous about hours too, unlike a lot of other states.

Doctors do tend to overestimate how long someone should be off work or school. It's almost always for good reason though. It's just a general guide. The 14 days your doc gave you may very well be because this surgery he is now recovering from was due to complications from another. So it's likely he may need a little more time to get back into the swing of normal things than he otherwise would. Or that he should need more time and should take it more careful than he would otherwise, even if feeling perfectly fine. 14 days might be too much, or you might find that it's spot on. You just never know.

My sister had the same kind of complication after having her tonsils taken out too. She was 12 or 13 at the time I believe. The initial procedure went fine, but she had issues after the fact and eventually needed another surgery to correct the bleeding. Her recovery the first go round was fine until the bleeding got out of hand-seemingly out of nowhere. Her doc had originally said no school for 5-7 days. Her second recovery was horrible and she was out of school for 18 days.(not counting weekends) She definitely needed the full recovery time. But there are probably a ton of other kids who wouldn't.