View Single Post
February 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We were very private in the beginning, but eventually told everyone on the planet (within reason) because I didn't want to hide it anymore after years worth of trying and medical stuff.

I also started to just get confident discussing it and made it a "matter of fact" part of who I am and who we are, not ashamed or worried about reactions once I personally accepted where we were, which honestly took a few years. The ironic part is that if you go back through way way old threads on the WTTC boards, I was constantly moving our TTC date out of fear of not being ready and then when we started it just kept going and going.

Once we hit adoption of course it was very open. We turned to everyone we knew for help getting the word out that we adopted and I was glad that we had already been open for those years about our struggles. They were definitely tuned in to wanting to help us and passing the message along, so much so that we ended up matching with our birth mom on Facebook.

I will say that once it no longer rocked me as much emotionally, I was pretty free in discussing it with others and starting to even educate those that were truly interested in what IVF was vs IUI and why we needed this method vs another, and why we were doing MA instead of going straight to adoption. I've had very very few negative experiences discussing it online or in person