Topic: Tithing
View Single Post
February 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we tithe 10% of Pre-tax gross pay. It's very hard but the Bible teaches that God gets the first fruits....not the government, the 401K or the insurance. I believe giving to the needy is completely separate.

The word tithe means "the tenth part." In 1Samuel 8 it shows the people offering a tenth of their grain, a tenth of their sheep, etc.

In the Old Testament, God required the Israelites to give a tenth of their produce to the Levites (the priests) as their inheritance. Then the priests had to give a tenth of that tithe back to God. Our pastors are our "Levites" today.

Malachi 3 is where it tells us we are actually robbing God by not paying our tithes. It says if we do pay them that God will open up blessings to us and rebuke the devour in our lives. I believe this to be very literal. Everything on this earth deteriorates and rots eventually but I believe those who don't pay tithes have things constantly break, go wrong, have things stolen from them, etc. and can never seem to "get ahead." On the other hand, those who do pay their tithes who may have "life"happen to them....somehow always seem to have extra money come to them to fix things or are blessed in some way to compensate for it.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16