View Single Post
February 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know each child is different so you can answer for each.

With my 7yr old son it's his mouth. He absolutely can NOT control his mouth and we are constantly fussing, reminding, punishing him and it never changes. He is so LOUD first of all. He literally almost yells in everyday conversation. At least 10 times a day we each say to him... "stop yelling!" Also, he wants to be funny (and he is) but he will say something OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Again, we are constantly telling him "ONE TIME is funny....stop saying it over and over. It's not funny anymore." He also interrupts all the time and whatever he's got to say...he HAS to say it no matter the consequences...he's going to say what is on his mind even if you say...STOP....HUSH....WAIT A MINUTE...STOP TALKING....ETC. He will keep blurting it out over and over until he's said it and gotten a response.

So this translates into LOTS of issues in a classroom setting. He talks constantly, interrupts and disrupts. It's all happy, good things....nothing bad. He just LOVES to talk and loves to be funny but can't seem to stop when warned or even punished. He isn't disrespectful or defiant at all....he's just in his own little world and has so much to say/discuss, he can't stop himself. In some ways it's good because he is so smart and learns a lot from all the questions he asks and discussions we have. However, it's MADDENING on a daily basis and very disruptive in a classroom setting. He has homeschool group on Tuesdays, Weds night classes at church and Sunday school. He gets his name on the board and teachers are constantly warning/correcting him. He also usually isn't paying attention to what he's suppose to be learning because he's too busy talking to his friends or trying to make them laugh. If/when we punish him when he gets home, then he cries and doesn't want to go back to classes the following week for fear of being punished again. He says he "can't help it" and just doesn't want to go so he won't risk losing a privilege again.

Any advice? What's your struggle?

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16