View Single Post
February 27th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am having the hardest time with my 9 month old. She was never a good sleeper and always had trouble falling asleep. She wants to fight sleep. Lately though, it is getting worse.
From about 6-8 months, she would never want to go to bed before 11pm. I would try everything and she would just keep crying. If I went in to soothe her, she would start laughing and wanted to play.

I knew I had to try to sleep train her and the cry it out method was just hard on me. After 5 minutes of her crying, I would run in and put her back down. I knew this was not good, but being a full-time working mom, it was just hard for me to keep hearing her cry and yes, she got to me. I felt bad.

After a week of trying to get her into a routine, it finally worked. She now wants to sleep by 8:30, which is great. I generally get her to sleep between 8-8:30 and she drinks her last bottle and falls right asleep. I put her down in her crib and then sometime between 30-60 mins later, she will wake up. If I run in there and give her the pacifier and put her back down, she will go right back to sleep. However, if I don't, she will just stand and cry and cry and cry. It seems that ever since she started standing a few months ago, that's all she wants to do. She knows how to get back down, but doesn't want to unless someone comes in to put her back down. One night I let her cry it out for about 25 mins and then gave her the glow seahorse with music and she finally fell asleep with her arm around it, after petting it for a little while.

For the past 4 weeks, this has been the norm....she gets up a few times during the night, but you can easily put her back down. Maybe once during the night she needs to be rocked.
The past few nights have been really bad. Again, no problems falling asleep at 8....but then from about 11pm - 7am, she has been constantly waking up, at least ten times. It seems like every 15 mins...sometimes she will sleep a stretch for two hours, and then wake up. I tried a combination of soothing her without talking or picking her up.....picking her up...letting her cry...etc. Again, I know I probably should stick to one thing, but I am so exhausted that I just want to try anything.

I am trying to figure out what is causing this. She already has her two bottom teeth and wasn't bad with them. Her top tooth is coming out for the past week and could this really be causing her to wake up so much? I tried changing the temp...thought maybe it was too warm/too cool...doesn't make a difference. Tried different PJs...same thing.

It's difficult because not one person is taking care of her all day, although she is still in the same house. She is with my husband until he works in the afternoon, then my mom, then me when I get home from work. Her schedule is generally..wake up around 7:30am... bottle...cry for a while and then maybe on some days, fall back asleep for an hour. Up around 9:30 -- food... then bottle and nap around 12 for an hour....food at 2...bottle around 3:30...nap for maybe 30-60 mins around 5. bottle when she gets up... food at 7....and last bottle, 7oz, at 8. Obviously the bigger bottles are in the am and at night. During the day sometimes she won't drink the whole bottle so we give her less, like 3-5 oz.

She sometimes doesn't want to take her nap around 4-5....and that doesn't make her sleep any better though the night. Do you think I am feeding her solids too late...? I thought keeping her tummy full would help, but again, when I pick her up during the night she falls asleep on me.

I don't know what to do. If anyone has gone through this and can help, please share your ideas and stories. Appreciate it...thanks!