View Single Post
February 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I'm somewhere in the middle ground. I try to buy organic fruits and veggies whenever I can afford them, but they are very expensive here. I do make sure to buy organic for things like salads, root vegetables, berries, celery, herbs, tomatoes, etc. In those cases, I feel like the extra money is worth it. I also buy organic free range eggs. They are expensive too (like Cyndee said, about $5.99/dozen) but for some reason I just feel better buying eggs from happier chickens. I don't buy organic meat, but I really don't buy much meat anyways. I usually buy a bag of frozen chicken that lasts me a month or so. I avoid most dairy products for myself but London and dh consume them. I drink almond milk because I try to avoid excess soy. On the other hand, I have been eating some packaged veggie sausage for breakfast. I know it's not the very best option, but it is a convenient protein option that works for me right in the morning. I'd be open to suggestions for alternatives! We don't do gluten free in this house because we don't have any gluten sensitivities. I actually went 100% gluten free for about 3 months a while ago because of all the hype I heard, but I did not notice even a subtle difference. So, I realized in my case that I am not sensitive to gluten. I do buy whole grain bread 98% of the time (I do occasionally buy regular baguettes... yum!).
Beverages- London mostly drinks water or milk but I will allow juice or lemonade on occasion. It's not every day though. When we go out, she orders lemonade. For me, I drink a lot of iced green tea when not pregnant and I generally drink one soda a day (gasp! I know, it's horrible. I admit it). Since being pregnant, I have switched away from caffeine sodas. I have been trying to drink more water (filtered from fridge) and I do drink non-caffeinated sodas like root beer and sprite. Every morning, we also drink a 'green smoothie' made with mostly veggies and a little bit of fruit.
Eating out- We eat out about once a week and I don't put many restrictions on us at that time. I figure we are out to splurge anyways.
I do buy some 'healthier' packaged items for the convenience but I am trying to get better. I would love to hear some meal plans from those of you that are more strict than I am!