View Single Post
February 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just thinking how I can't afford a doula, but I would really like one. I know having a friend or spouse play the roll wouldn't be the same. They aren't experts in knowledge of that area. But is there a way you could prepare them to kinda play the roll so at least it's better than nothing? I know a lot about this stuff, but I can't think about it while I'm in labor!

I was just thinking that maybe if I made them a "quick guide" of what to do, like a section headed "pain relief techniques" so they know what to suggest to me that I'm in too much pain to think of, or another called "aroma therapy" so they can know what kind of scents (which I will have on hand) to get going in the room to help me depending on what stage of labor I'm in or what I seem to need. Would this work, or is it a disaster waiting to happen?

My midwives do stay with me the whole time, but they don't do much doula type stuff. Or maybe I just give off a "leave me alone" vibe, I don't know. but I do know that after I give birth, I'm always thinking, "Why didn't I do this?" or "Why did I do that?" For example, I pushed my son out while on my back--not the best position. So why the heck did I do that? I wonder if it would have hurt less in another position. Who the heck knows. I never got to try because no one made any suggestions to me and I couldn't think straight.