Topic: church
View Single Post
March 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm in a church "rut" right now. I grew up Moravian. No one ever knows what that is. Anyhow, in junior high/high school, we switched to Methodist. I liked that for a while, but it often depended on the minister we got, and being in a small community, they didn't tend to stay long. Plus, we shared him with another church, who had more money and more members so they got more of a say in who the minister chosen was every time one left. After getting married, I did Lutheran, which is fine for the most part. We had been married in the Lutheran church, and my grandma was Lutheran so I was familiar with it, and my hubby was raised Lutheran. We started out ECLA and then switched to Missouri Synod - both Lutheran, just some of the beliefs/doctrines are different. With all the moving around we've done, it's sometimes hard to find that right "fit." I had one that I really liked when we were in MA, but now that's over an hour away. They had a contemporary service and lots of kids. We'd been going to one near home for about a year - year and a half, but ALL of the congregation is elderly, as in near death. That doesn't bother me so much, but there is nothing for the girls to keep them interested. Then we were battling various illnesses back in December, and the minister called to tell me that there was going to be no Christmas Eve service because the members couldn't really drive in the dark. He also told me that I should think about a different church for my spiritual needs, and more importantly, for those of my girls. I actually appreciate that he told me that, but I don't know where else to look. I don't want anything "too" contemporary, but I don't want it stuffy, either, and I need something for my girls. Plus, our beliefs can sometimes be different than most people around us so I don't want to end up in the "wrong" place. Now you've got me feeling guilty because we haven't been to church in probably 3 months!! I need to get on that!!!