View Single Post
March 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I wouldn't want mom's or dad's same first name for the baby. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it necessarily, but it's not for us. I know of many parents who have done this, especially where I grew up, and honestly, I thought they lacked originality that they couldn't come up with a different name. Hubby wouldn't want that, either. We already get fairly often that our 2nd is named after me - I'm Christine, and she's Kirsten. Nope, nothing to do with each other. We both really liked the name Kirsten, and it is Norwegian, which is part of my husband's ethnic background.

I, however, would not have any trouble naming baby after a grandparent, but I would probably lean more toward doing what my parents did with me - using both of my grandmothers' middle names - one for my first name and one for my middle name. And each of my girls, except my oldest, has a family member's portion of a name as their middle name, and my youngest has 2 of her great-grandmothers' names - one for the first and one for the middle.