View Single Post
March 8th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are several different parenting philosophies and most parenting books fall into one of those categories. You will need to decide on your parenting philosophies to help narrow down your search. The two most common schools of thought are Traditional Parenting and Attachment parenting.

I am a proponent of Attachment Parenting and was raised strictly traditional parenting. The principals of attachment parenting are as follows:

If you would like more resources for attachment parenting, then Dr. William Sears is a great place to start, as well as this particular board because I believe the bulk of the mommies here are AP.

I don't know many resources for Traditional parenting, but maybe someone here can chime in and help you.

When we were getting ready for Bourne's arrival, I read both sides just to determine where our style fell and to educate myself on different things (the pros and cons of sleep training was a big one and feeding on demand vs. scheduled feedings)

It is very overwhelming but you will figure out what is best for you and your family. The only advice that I will give in this area is go with what YOU AND YOUR DH/SO feel is best. You are going to get a ton of well meaning advice that is probably misdirected and out of date. Just smile, say thank you and then do what you feel is best.