View Single Post
March 9th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Hi,
My name is Sharon - I live in PA with my 2 boys and husband.

My 4 1/2 year old has an IEP for social/emotional behavior issues - we've been kicked out of 3 daycares due to his 'oppositional' behavior. He is medically undiagnosed but I strongly believe he was more ODD than ADHD but the characteristics do overlap and the approaches I have taken have been more for ODD. With parenting changes and a preschool that is really structured and working with the Special Ed department my Gavin is thriving with no meds - it was all my parenting style and structure required. The main thing I found he needs - LOTS and LOTS of Hugs and Kisses. So every night we have cuddle time and I get to hold him really tight and believe it or not, this with the structure and parenting changes have helped immensly.

Then there's my 7 1/2 year old, Brayden. Sweetest thing ever. A year younger than everyone in 2nd grade - advanced in math but has horrible writing (fine motor) and will not write open ended sentences - can't finish tests in class that he needs to read and write answers to - distracts other in class, can't focus, very fidgety, can't sit, can't watch a movie at home. I've always been hyper aweare of the ADHD possibility which does run in my family - but I have seen improvement over the years. He also can organize things, and forgets homework, jackets, lunch boxes etc. at school. Again, ADHD is undiagnosed, but I have just started him on an over the counter focus vitamins to see if it will help.

I hope to understand others experiences and see what I can add to my life to help my boys thrive.
Thanks and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Sharon