View Single Post
March 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Veteran
Ruby's Birth Story:

Around 1am on Sunday I woke up with cramps. For about an hour they just seemed to be constant, but then started to have a more definitive stop/start, so I began timing them. They were about 5 mins apart, lasting 30-45 seconds. This continued all night and I was not able to sleep through them. By about 7am I knew for sure that we would be having a baby that day!

About 7:30 we called our doula and Rob's parents to come watch Lily. It took a few hours for everyone to get there. In the meantime I finished packing and took a shower. I was so grateful when our doula arrived and was able to help me through the contractions. After about two hours, I started thinking it was time to leave for the hospital: my contractions were really strong. At that point I was still hoping to have an epidural, haha!

Then suddenly everything just got unbearable. Our doula suggested I use the bathroom and then we would leave. I peed and then said that I thought I needed to poop...and then I started screaming and pushing involuntarily!! I couldn't stop!

Everything else is a blur: Rob had to basically carry me downstairs, put my shoes on, and get me into the car. I was trying not to push during the contractions, but couldn't help it. We flew down the road to the hospital, which is normally a 20 min drive. Our doula called the hospital on the way. They met us at the car with a wheelchair and pushed me screaming down the hall to a room.

At that point I still had never had my cervix checked and I started asking what the heck was going on down there! A nurse checked me then and I was fully dilated, and my water still hadn't broken. It broke shortly after while I was pushing.

For me, the pushing was the worst part, pain-wise. It was definitely a 10/10 on the pain scale. I pushed for about 20 mins at the hospital. When her head was crowning, the doctor started saying "half-pushes, half-pushes!" but I couldn't stop and she literally squirted out all at once. It was crazy!!

So Miss Ruby Elaina made her official appearance at 1:17pm, weighing 6 lbs, 10 oz and 19 in long. I ended up with a vaginal hematoma on my left side, probably because I was lying mostly on my right side to push. I also had some tearing and needed a few stitches.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!