View Single Post
March 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
(((hugs))) that must be so scary to hear. I've been told that there is such a high incidence of false positive with the NT scan that I never consented to doing one because the worry would have really gotten under my skin. I've also heard that they factor age into the algorithm they use to determine the risk factor they give you, so some of that risk is just from being 35, not even from the scan.

I know you said there isn't as much testing available in BC as in the US, but if you have access to a private lab, the Harmony21 test takes about 2 weeks to get results back and costs $225 and separates fetal DNA from maternal blood (it's just a blood test, no risk to baby) and assesses your risk level more accurately (though, not as accurately as an amnio, but still, no risk to baby) by looking at how often chromosomes 13, 18 and 21 show up in the sample.

I'm glad that you are going to get more detailed imaging done and that you are ready to love and raise your baby regardless of the testing. I'm sad that your family is being so unsupportive and that they would be so eager to end a life just because there is a chance of not being 100% normal--like M2M said, Downs babies grow up, happily and it is reasonable to hope for an amount of autonomy.

Hugs and prayers to you and your family. And I'm glad that your baby is improving and out of the hospital. That must have been such a trying week for you and your family.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)