View Single Post
March 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel like Remy is going through a stage right now where he is just not a happy baby. I guess it could be a combination of things - growth spurt, teething, whatever the heck it is - but I'm so frustrated! I feel like we have window of about 45 minutes after he wakes up in the morning and after any "good" nap before he becomes a whiny, fussy mess. Nothing makes him happy, not even being held. He's 5 months old, he should be able to stay awake for longer periods of time now, but he barely lasts an hour before I feel like he wants to sleep again. It's a bad cycle though, because with the exception of one nap during the day (where I have to intervene at 45 minutes and get him to go back to sleep) he is only taking cat naps and that is just making him more and more tired as the day goes on. Then, like tonight for instance, if I don't get him to bed on time he takes FOREVER to go to sleep and he ends up fighting me for an hour. Tonight I was on the brink of letting him cry it out because he was being so stubborn about sleep but then he started screaming and I just couldn't leave him like that.

I'm trying everything I can to make him a happier baby. I tweak nap times to see if he'll sleep longer, I bought a white noise machine, I entertain him as much as I possibly can when he's awake and nothing seems to help. I feel like I'm trying to put him to sleep more than he's actually sleeping, and then when he's sleeping I'm so focused on when he'll wake up that I still don't get any down time.

Then there's his eating. With the exception of night time feedings or before a nap, he seriously has zero interest in his bottle. Even when he wakes up in the morning and it's been 4 hours since his last bottle, he will drink like 1 or 2 oz and be done with it. He'll take little bits here and there but then when it comes time for a nap, he'll slug it down while he's trying to fall asleep. I would try and cut that out if I could, but it's another bad cycle where I feel like I need to feed him when he'll take it because otherwise he's not getting the fluids that he needs. I was going to wait to start solids until 6 months, but I've thought it over and am going to start organic brown rice cereal tomorrow evening. If only to get some extra calories in him and possibly keep him from having to wake up more than once in the night to get his nourishment after not eating a lot during the day.

Ugh. Overall I'm just frustrated. My husband works evenings so I'm here by myself a lot, and I am trying so hard not to lose my patience because Remy doesn't deserve that. I feel like such a loser right now because I snapped at him when he wouldn't go to sleep tonight. He's a baby, really what do I expect from him? Thanks guys, I really needed to vent.