View Single Post
March 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
You needed to see anesthesia because people who fall into the obese and morbidly obese category (no offense.. it's a technical numbers thing) are EXTREMELY difficult to get epidurals and spinals into. ESPECIALLY if they're short because you can't curl the way you need to in order to allow them access to the epidural spaces. So they like anesthesia to be aware of what they're dealing with and honestly anesthesia can say you're not a candidate. Being your weight and height absolutely DOES put you and baby at higher risk for lots of things. I understand you're uncomfortable with your body (I've been there) but the not wanting to undress around nurses/etc thing is going to have to go out the window when you're pushing and stuff. Modesty kind of has to go out the window. They're doing all these tests and interviews and bloodwork and assessments (listening to your heart/lungs) because you're at a higher risk for a csection and it may end up if they think they can't get in a spinal/epidural that they will need to put you under general anesthesia so they need to know baseline lung function, and blood levels, and cardiac status. The nurse AND anesthesia both listened because they need to make their own assessments and judgement calls. They shouldn't have disrespected you but to much of society.. weight is an aesthetics and visual thing and to the medical world it is much much more important than that. Example: Obese and morbidly obese women have more fat and tissue over their lungs and when laid down, they can literally have suffocation issues. Your pre-pregnancy BMI was 44.3. That is a red flag to doctors and nurses. Like I said.. they shouldn't have been rude or disrespectful but the information they're telling you is 200% the truth and they're doing it for your safety and the safety of the baby. Also, your doctor is full of ***** if she told you she doesn't know why they did it all. SHE had to have it ordered.