Topic: Big Dreams
View Single Post
March 16th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I went to boarding school when I was 15 and it was a great experience. By that age, I totally feel kids are old enough to handle a lot of separation from the family unit. Heck even just a few hundred years ago they'd be starting their own families by then, possibly. It depends a lot on the kid but by that age, I was old enough to actively pursue boarding school for myself and convince my parents to let me go, I arranged my own financial aid and everything, it was the first time I had *ever* been challenged in school, and I made great friends. I shudder to think at how my life would have turned out if I hadn't gone. I was near a breaking point with my frustration level and hating school so much. I wouldn't send away an 8 year old, but a mature 14-15 year old or older, absolutely, if that is what they wanted.

DH's grandmother and great uncle were the academic achievers of their poor farming family. The other five or so siblings had to work the farm and help them make enough money to send those two off to college. I thought that was really interesting but also pretty unfair. Later in life the farm siblings had minimal contact with the other two, although the (now more financially successful) college siblings continued to repay them with financial assistance throughout life. It didn't exactly help their emotional bonding. Not like that's the same as moving, but I do think sacrificing some children's comfort/freedom/preferences to help another one achieve more, is to be avoided, it is a recipe for resentment. It sort of sends a message that one child is more important than the others. In my humble opinion.