View Single Post
March 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We started part time EC when Eleanor was about 5 months old. For the first 3-4 months, we pretty much never missed a poop- it was so great! Then she started going through a phase where she wasn't interested in pooping on the potty, which was fine by me. I usually try her on the potty first thing in the morning, after nap, and anytime she says she is pooping or asks to use the potty. We have a little potty chair, and she likes to sit on it and read books, and we have a potty seat for the toilet- that one is an Elmo seat and she loves to take it from its hook and put it on the potty then sit on it and point out all the characters. Generally potty time is pretty enjoyable for her, whether she goes or not.

She does frequently pee as soon as her diaper comes off and she wiggles away. She will stop, point to it, and say "pee pee." Usually she helps clean it up, and I tell her that next time she has to go pee pee she can tell mommy and sit on her Elmo seat to go in the potty. She also says "poop" pretty much whenever she is pooping, but sometimes she is reluctant to go to the potty and that is fine. We catch some poops and some pees pretty much every day. And she likes flushing and saying "bye bye" to the poop or pee.

I am thinking that when she is 18 months or 2 years (either a few months before or a few months after the new baby), I may try doing a few naked days with frequent potty breaks and see if we can make some progress on PLing. I may also consider introducing her to the concept of underwear and see if some Minnie or Elmo panties would be a motivation for her. I am not super invested in whether it works or not, so it would just be a trial. If it works, great, a lot less work for us. If it doesn't, no big deal, just a few days wasted.

I like that from the EC she is completely comfortable with all things potty and that she is very aware of pooping and peeing. I also love that there are some poops I don't have to clean out of a cloth diaper. Whether or not she PLs early isn't a big deal.