View Single Post
March 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Welcome! I'm Melissa, and my DH and I have 3 IVF babies (1 from our fresh cycle, and twins from our FET).

1. Do they retrieve as many eggs as possible? Generally, yes. There are minimal-stimulation IVF protocols where they just try to get one or two eggs, but in a traditional IVF you get as many as you can. Like Brooke said, you'll do injections of medication to stimulate your body to produce as many eggs as possible, and then during the retrieval procedure the doctor will harvest them. You will likely be quite uncomfortable by the time of the retrieval because your ovaries will be full of lots of eggs...and you might look 3 months pregnant from the bloat. Comfy, elastic waist pants are a must Not all of the eggs they get will be "good" or "mature"...those eggs will be discarded (2 of my 15 eggs were not mature).
2. How many do they insert back into the uterus? Generally for healthy couples under 35 with no previous failed IVF attempts, the limit is 2. You and your doctor will go over your options and discuss this before your cycle. It will also depend on the health of your embryos and how many you have. We transferred two each time.
3. If it works the first time, and we still have some eggs left, can we save them for later use? Yes. The freezing of your embryos is included with some IVF packages, and with others it is an extra fee. It is well worth it to freeze any embryos you have...you'll have them available whenever you need them, and they never age! For example I'm closing in on 32 now, but my embryos were made with 28-year old eggs
4. And if we have left over eggs that we want to use for later use, do we have to pay for IVF all over again? At my clinic, the fresh IVF cycle was $15,000. An FET cycle was about $5000 when all was said and done, so much, much cheaper. It is also MUCH less stressful and MUCH easier on your body.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)