View Single Post
March 18th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aside from the expiration dates, some people don't count minor accidents. They think they should only replace them after a major accident.
I was rear ended twice (two impacts) last Fall--I had a concussion but damage to my vehicle was under $1k. We had just come back from vacation 10 days earlier and I had thoroughly inspected the car seat for damage from having the car seat on the plane. I was torn about getting a new seat after the accident. I decided to replace--drove my daughter the 3 miles to the sitter the next day, then went to the store. When I took it out, there was a visible line where the seat belt was--you know when plastic gets damaged, it shows a discolored/lighter line--that's what it was. It was only on the one side. The frame of the seat was gray, but I'm not sure if it would have shown add much on a black frame.
I gave my infant seat to a friend--that seat had never been dropped, no accident or any type. They were happy to get it, but I doubt they were fsmiliar with what yo look for. I have 2 expired seats in my garage and the one from my accident. A handful of times a year I loan out a car seat or two when people have Grandkids visit--I will never let anyone use those (saving for the TRU trade in events). We Have 4 car seats in cars my DD rides in, so i only loan put good ones.
My parents had a seat that broke, before the expiration date, because it became brittle from the extreme heat out here.

Last edited by *Lana*; March 18th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.