View Single Post
March 18th, 2013, 11:40 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
You've probably talked about this before but I can't remember, was Lily tested at birth or did they discover it over time as she started having difficulties?
Lily passed her newborn screening (which did not include a pulse ox) with flying colors.

My mom came to see us that day - and noticed she was turning purple when she cried. I had noticed it too, but didn't think twice about it because "Eh, she's screaming her head off. Of *course* she's off-color. I would be too if I cried that much!" My mom mentioned it to a nurse, who noted that it was a little unusual.

I had Lily at 1:12 am Saturday morning. There was no further testing done on her, even though it was noted that her color was off, until the pediatric check-up performed prior to release from the hospital, at 7:00 pm. At about 7:30 pm, the doctor came up and told me that Lily had a hole in her heart.

Here's a scary part...it almost went undetected. Apparently the hole in Lily's heart was SO big that her heart sounded almost normal!

She was immediately admitted into the NICU. Transferred to Children's Hospital on Tuesday. That's where they diagnosed everything else.