View Single Post
March 18th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I look at make up and children as part of dress up or pretend play... if I had a little girl and she wanted to play with make up at home, I wouldn't have a problem with it (given that it wasn't too visible) , to me it's pretend, and just like wearing costumes. But I would not be ok with my child taking it to school or out of the house. I would hold on to it until requested during 'costume play' with young kids.

I don't know if there is a magical age, it would depend on the kid, and their interest/maturity, maybe around 11 or 12 I would like to sit down with my daughter and teach her how to apply makeup properly and age appropriately, along with healthy skin care tips etc etc. My mom never really did this with me, and I was a 'self taught' make up artist... The teenage years are really the only time it's 'acceptable' to play with makeup through trial and error, but I never really did this and I still feel self conscious when applying my makeup. Although I do like wearing it.

If I had a daughter not interested in makeup, that would be fine, I would still want to sit and do the skin care lesson though. I think it's part of the transition into 'womanhood'... something special to do as she gets older.