View Single Post
March 19th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi all. Sorry it's been so long since I've been around, and that I missed the birth of so many of your little ones. We've been having a rough time - or I've been having a rough time handling things.

So, since about 3 weeks (tomorrow he'll be 8 weeks) my son has had reflux that has been causing him no small amount of discomfort. It's been pretty awful at times... most of the time, really. The first thing we tried was cutting dairy out of my diet, which helped some (it definitely reduced his diarrhea and the constact diaper rash) but didn't resolve the reflux. We then tried Zantac, and finally Prevacid, which he's currently taking. Both helped somewhat, but didn't provide any consistent relief. We also, against my better judgement, tried thickening breast milk with some cereal to help him keep it down. That was a disaster the one time we tried it, and I didn't try it again. I have felt so powerless to help make my son feel better, and am just so worn out from struggling with it on top of all the other exhaustions of new parenthood. Not to mention that the reflux makes him want to nurse all.the.time. I am thankful I have the kind of reflux baby that is gaining weight well (because the opposite would be much harder), but my child is nursing so much that he's gaining nearly a pound per week. It's insane, and he has very quickly become very chubby.

Anyway, my son's pediatrician called me this past Saturday night out of the blue, and suggested that we try giving him a hypoallergenic formula for 48 hours to see if it would help. I struggled all day Sunday with the idea, and finally started it on Monday morning. I cried with the first few bottles, cried again today with them. It just sucks so much giving him formula when I want to be nursing, when HE wants to be nursing. It took a while for me to really get comfortable with nursing (I hated it for the first few weeks), and now that we're finally there I hate not being able to nurse him for even just these 48 hours. And, I feel like a brand new parent again. I had kind of figured out what to expect with the nursing, and feel totally lost again now that I'm giving him bottles of formula instead (and trying to pump like mad to keep my supply up).

The problem is, he seems better. I change my mind every few hours on whether he's *really* doing better or not, but there is no question that his bowel movements and gassiness are way, WAY better, and so far today he hasn't had a single reflux episode. He has spit up several times still, but no obvious pain from it, and his breath hasn't smelled like vomit at all today. Evenings are usually his worst time, so we'll see what the next several hours bring... but so far today has been pretty far from the norm.

I suspect his pediatrician is going to recommend tomorrow that I switch him to the formula. I want to do what's best for him, whatever that is, but I really, really, really don't want to stop nursing him if I don't have to. The past two days have really turned me upside down again, and my footing was pretty precarious as it was. I want our old routine back, even as hard as it was... and I want to keep feeding him breastmilk because of all the benefits it confers... but I also want him to feel better and not scream in pain after half of his feeds. Besides switching to formula to help him though, my only other options seem to be a) trying a total elimination diet so that I can see if cutting out more foods gets rid of the reflux, or b) waiting this out - because it should eventually go away, I just don't know whether that will be at 4 months or at 12.

I just don't know what to do. I want to do what's best for my baby, but I don't know what that is and I'm struggling so much with this. We have an appointment with a pediatric GI on March 28, and I'm wondering if I should just wait until then to do anything. All of these changes though are wearing on both my son and I... it's so hard to develop any kind of routine or schedule when we're always at the doctor, always changing meds, always trying this or that. I'm just totally fried.

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts you might have.