View Single Post
March 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't say they are Christian! I can only think of one book with a religious slant and it was obvious. The book was called "Clown of God"! I think it was a Catholic leaning. I simply explained a cathedral to the kids. Most of the books were cultural or historical. In one it does mention her dad wrapping her up in a burlap sack and placing her in a wagon to go to church as she didn't have a coat. It helped explain the significance of the fabric.

I'd look at the book lists and look over some of the books at the library. I've found that the majority of "Christian" homeschooling materials have nothing religious in them! I find a lot of religion forced into a curriculum to be mildly offensive. That said I use a lot of Christian materials. My favorites are Amish/Mennonite! They contain no religion, but good old fashioned farming community. My kids loved their readers as they are about life on a farm. For kids in the suburbs, they were thrilled!

I'm typically pretty cynical with what is considered Christian. I don't like what feels like far fetched religion forced on my kids. Which is funny seeing how I use a very Christian curriculum now for my oldest kids, but we use it our way and tweak when I feel its going too far.

We are LDS and religious in a way that's different than a lot of other main stream Christians. I find a lot of religious materials to cheapen our beliefs by making religious themes too commonplace or stretching the theme to the vpoint where it feels meaningless. I'm not describing myself well at all right now. I like my religious instruction to come straight from scripture vs. Interpretation by a curriculum committee. I think in the end, my choices would probably be similar to a non Christian or an Atheist that is open to exposing their children to a wide view of culture. My dad is an Atheist and if he was in my home, I'd have no problem with having him read any of our FIAR books. He is open to cultures, but doesn't believe in any higher deity. In our home I like to expose my children to different religions and cultures. FIAR was great at exposing snippets of culture from a child's view in a different culture.

I'd look into it yourself and see if you can tweak it for your needs. I honestly think it would fit your family, but only you would know for sure. For my kids younger yrs I was very anti Christian curriculum. I felt that FIAR was very secular without the bible supplement that I didn't buy. I am also fascinated with world cultures and religions, so take that into consideration.