View Single Post
March 22nd, 2013, 05:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel like the boundaries are being pushed a lot more with this current generation of teenagers. I also feel pressured from my kids and even my own husband to allow modifications that I am not sure they would be ready for.

On the other hand, I'm not sure where my reservations are coming from, as I had a tattoo done when I was 14, as did many of my friends. These crummy home-spun tattoos were awful, and done secretly at parties or our friends basements.

To backtrack:

Many teens are getting tattooed at 16. There are kids at my sons high school who have full sleeves. 14 is also not unheard of with my boy's classmates. And a couple of 13 year olds. One 13 year old at my sons middle school has one his forearms covered in Chinese writing.
These are not home spun tattoos, but professional ones that the parents took their teens to get done.

I gave myself my first tattoo when I was 14, in my bedroom late at night by the light of a candle. I obviously love tattoos and I am slowly covering myself in them. They are professional quality now though, not done with a string wrapped sewing needle and a broken ink pen.

A few months ago, I broke my own "code" and tattooed my 16 1/2 year old niece on her ankle. It was her Christmas gift from her mother. I only did because we owed my sister in law money and I felt obligated.

But now my boys want them done at 16, too. Part of me feels that is outrageous, but then I think of the awful ones my friends and I put on ourselves and each other with make shift equipment and I know that I also never regretted mine. My husband tried to talk me into tattooing our 13 year old and I am VEHEMENTLY against doing anything until 16, and even then I'm shuddering at the thought.

What do you guys think?