View Single Post
March 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post
I'm planning on breastfeeding until baby weans herself/himself or until 2ish years old. I will NOT give formula.... i don't understand why you would buy processed factory made stuff when your body makes the most perfect food for your baby naturally... and there are ways to increase supply if my boobs for any reason don't make enough. My next door neighbor's baby got deathly ill with salmonella as an infant from the formula that she was given... the mom didn't breastfeed. Most formulas are made with cow's whey and vegetable oils.... not what I want to put in a newborn.

I don't know about giving him/her bottles yet either... I suppose I probably will want the option of being away for more than 2 hours... so I will probably start pumping/giving bottles for my husband/mom to give her/him after a month or two when I'm ready to get back in yoga/the gym/need personal alone time.

I find this a little upsetting. There are a ton of women out there that just plain can not produce milk. No matter what they do. These women have been 110% for breastfeeding so it was quite disappointing and heartbreaking for them when their body simply would not do what it is supposed to do.

Sure, we all *know* that breast milk is the best for the baby, but sometimes it plain doesn't work out for whatever reason. So yes, sometimes formula needs to be used to step in and literally save a baby's life. Regardless of how synthetic it is, it does the job and saves lives when breastfeeding failed.

My body does not make milk easily. It hurt like he** the first 2 weeks both time, despite all the claims that BF isn't supposed to hurt. I am also convinced my baby had failure to thrive. She was in 3 month clothing by the time she was 6 months old. It wasn't until we started her on solids that she really began to thrive. I just don't think my milk has that fattiness the baby needs. With my second, I wasn't going to let that happen again. My milk instantly started to drop 3 weeks after I had her so we went to formula and she was just as healthy, if not more so throughout her infancy.

This time I do plan to BF for as long as I can, even if it means mostly using formula but still a feeding or 2 of BF so baby can get all s/he can. I also plan to use some other techniques that I didn't have when I was BF my first two. I am really looking forward to it this time and really hope it works out.

Last edited by anothermother; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:12 AM.