View Single Post
March 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hello!

I'm new here and this looks like a great place to get a little help.

We have an eight month old baby girl and she won't sleep through the night. We've read a lot of books and researched and we've come to the conclusion that the problem is her sleep associations. We have always held her as she falls asleep and then put her in her crib which means when she naturally wakes up during the night, she can't fall back asleep on her own because something "feels wrong."

It's gotten worse and worse and is now at the point where she'll cry uncontrollably until she's either picked up or taken into bed with us.

We realize the key is going to be getting her to be comfortable with going to sleep on her own. This is the goal of the Ferber method, but there are nuances not covered in the book that I'm hoping people here have experienced.

According to the book, we're supposed to pick a length of time, say one minute to start. We put her in the crib awake and leave for a minute. If she's crying (she will me) we (one of us) will go in for a minute or two calm her down and show her that we're still there and then leave again, this time for longer. repeat this until we reach our max of, say, 15 minutes, and then each time after that is 15 minutes. The book assumes that she will eventually fal asleep on her own, but my question is what if she doesn't? We've seen no evidence that she'll calm herself down at all, she cries until she makes herself throw up and then cries some more.

It's heartbreaking to see but we know that it's time to do something. Any advice from people who have done this?