Topic: Tithing
View Single Post
March 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran
So how does tithing to "the church" work when you have a home fellowship?
I don't think the "church" is a building or a specific pastor. The church is a body of people that worship Jesus and do what He said to do.

In the New Testament Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for disregarding what their religion should have been and focusing too much on the tithe.
Matthew 23:23 and Luke 11:42

In Luke 18:12 another Pharisee brags about tithing.

There are many verses in the Old Testament about tithing. However, besides Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek, all the other tithes seem to go to the temple.

In Malachi 3, God mentions the tithe providing "meat for my house". At that time, his "house" was the temple. Nowadays people like to say that a church building is the "house" of God when in fact, our bodies are the true "temple" of God.

That being said, I don't think it's wrong at all for followers of Christ to support their church or pastor. I also don't think it is a requirement to tithe a certain percent to a particular establishment. As I mentioned before, we should be more like the widow who gave everything she had, rather than thinking we're "good" with a certain amount.

Does anyone know of a direct Biblical command to tithe?