View Single Post
March 25th, 2013, 07:37 AM
CopperBoom!
I don't see it as an ethical issue. To be honest, a majority of the time it isn't the mother's choice anyway. My son's father is not on the birth certificat, not because I left him off but because he refused to sign. I realize that is a different issue entirely, but I wanted to make the point that the father being on the birth certificate is not entirely the mother's choice.

If a father is left off the birth certificate, he always, in every state, has the full capability to petition to be added. It often can require a paternity test, but in many states, any father not married to the child's mother either needs a paternity test or an affidavit of parentage before his name can be put on a birth certificate any way. It isn't as if the mother can not put the father's name on the birth certificate and then he has no possible way of being added. He just needs to take the initiative to put himself on it. And if he doesn't go through the fairly simple process, well then I honestly would assume it isn't that big of a deal to him anyway.