View Single Post
March 25th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy5586 View Post
I'm a firm believer in not using food as a reward (it's hard), but especially not for exercise/weight loss/etc. I obviously don't have a kid older than Brynlee yet though. I just try not to reward my own self with food. Like...oh I worked out today so I can have a cookie or I lost weight this week so I can have a "cheat" meal. So I am going to try not to do that with Brynlee.
Oh I try not to do that too. But I do try to remind myself that I can't eat things like cookies or cheat meals without having to "pay" for it in some way.
Thinking about how much I would have to work in exchange for that cookie to balance it out healthwise makes me stop and think "do i really want this? is it worth it?"

To me, it seems more like a "If you want x you have to do y." which kinda lets him weigh whether or not he really wants it instead of a "if you do y, you get x".

I do agree with Rachel about trying to limit the junk in the house. If Dale is anything like James, I know that's easier said than done, he's the one that brings most of the junk in the house (like right now he's away so we have none).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rae~ View Post
I don't think it's mean & I'm glad you recognize a potential issue early on.
I wouldn't associate exercise with snacks though. I'd have him become more active & limit the snacks overall. Can he enroll in T-ball, football, basketball, etc?
My kids don't get the good snacks every day. I want them to view junk as ocassional treats & not an every day occurrence.
I also struggled with my weight my whole life, & I wouldn't wish that on anyone, let alone my own kids.

I don't think it's mean, it's better than not addressing the problem at all.
But I'd try other stuff first, I don't know what you've tried or not though Kara.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.