View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran
Let me preface this post by saying that this has a little to do with my baby and a lot to do with my feelings. I just found out that my parents took in a foster child (17 year old girl with the emotional and mental capacity of a 13 year old). My mother is 64, had a hip replacement last year which put her on disability after 40 years as a nurse, and will be getting double knee replacements in the next few months. At age 63, my dad finally found a part time job after 3 years of unemployment.

My parents have never fostered before, and they just sprung this on me. I tried to sound happy, but inside I am seething. I live 800 miles away and was counting on my mom and dad to visit when the baby's born. Now they either won't come, will come in shifts, or they will be coming with a 17 year old who I don't know at all. My parents have always vowed to take care of my grandmother who lives next door, and at age 91 she is needing a lot of supervision which I feel she won't get now that my parents have a teenager to look after. Also, coupled with my moms physical ailments, I think it was an incredibly stupid decision.

I'm extremely hurt that at a time when they should be focusing on their grandchildren and starting to enjoy retirement, they've decided to substitute parent. I feel like I've been replaced. I'm 30 years old with a loving husband, and I know I shouldn't care what my parents do in their life, but I can't help but feel like they've abandoned me. My husband is supportive, but I know he thinks I'm being a little selfish. Am I? Do you think I am way more upset about this partly because of pregnancy hormones?

Sorry for the rant, I just really needed to get this out.