View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Hiya!
Yes and no. For the same reasons the others listed. Two can be challenging because of the newfound abilities and new restrictions being placed on those abilities. Plus, the inability to communicate ones desires exactly as they want to be communicated.

BUT, I think three is far worse than two. For the reasons Lost stated. They are developing that growing sense of independence and want to test consequences, see exactly where the limits lie, and see how much of what the parents say is actually going to happen. It's more of a "willful" stage. And I find that harder to handle than the more "innocent" trials of age two.

I also agree that some kids hit it even later than two or three. Julia had a rough age 4. She was quite mouthy at that age and experimented with just how much hurt she could cause with words. I found her "terrible fours" was mostly an emotional growth versus anything else. Which I think is what makes the threes terrible too. The emotional trials of what is acceptable behaviors and what isn't.

I think some of it is the perspective of the parent though. I, for one, have a more difficult time handling the intentional aspect of "terrible threes/fours." But some parents have a more difficult time handling the physical demands and frustrations of interpreting kids at two. It just depends on the person.