Topic: History
View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I'm not talking History channel BS that is more about reality shows than facts. Is anyone here into or have studied American or World history?

On HuluPlus, I recently discovered this awesome documenatarian named Ken Burns that has made several series for PBS. I listen to them while I work. I have gotten through his WWII series, Civil war series and am now watching his series on how the National Parks were created and the history of them. Really wonderful stuff.

In college I got an AA but focused studies on world religions, sociology, anthropology, and english before moving into enviromental science where I left just before completing a BA (I wanted to study Ecopsychology but it was in its infancy). But never really much of world or American history outside of Highschool. I'm very intrigued now as to what created this great nation and this weeks SC arguement over SSM makes me realize that equal rights for all citizens is still yet to be realized in this country, as our civil rights seem to be moving backwards in how the government can arrest or wiretap anyone suspected of 'terrorism' - not following the status quo. Now they want to put a drone base in the US to spy and possibly target americans on american soil. It's all quite frightening.

Some quotes to consider, lest we forget the lessons of the past and end up in another civil war

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.
George Bernard Shaw

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.
Karl Marx

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

one more Lincoln quote:
"We have, as all will agree, a free Government, where every man has a right to be equal with every other man. In this great struggle, this form of Government and every form of human right is endangered if our enemies succeed."