View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Mommy of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
I'd have to do some digging as I stopped most of the research I had been doing once we realized we'd be moving to a place where I would have access to a midwife-operated birth center (which, for the record, I have chosen as opposed to a home birth primarily because this is my first baby - the vast majority of home birth to hospital transfers are first time mothers who panic, and I'm admittedly a slight hypochondria - and so a birth center was a happy medium for me). That said, Shelley, I would happy to send you whatever links I still have laying around. Were you looking for any specific type of information?

ETA: LM - you realize that most statistics from the CDC or AMA are going to be deliberately slanted against home births, right? That these groups have a vested financial interest in keeping birth in the hospital? That the information you've provided is very limited and no extrapolations on the circumstances have been given for any of these situations, and that non-fatal but life-threatening or otherwise significant complications as a result of unnecessary interventions were not included? In addition, one year in one state is a fraction of a sample for home births overall in the developed world.

You also realize that there are plenty of doctors who get all of the right education and training who are still terrible care providers because they treat their patients like cattle, ignore their wishes, make medical decisions based on what's more convenient for their schedules even if it's not ideal for the mother or the baby? I'm sure you would agree with me that it would be unfair to claim that because there are doctors like this who exist, ALL doctors must be like that or ALL hospital births must be traumatic. Midwifery and home birth is no different.

Do you realize that the US is the only western country that does not universally support and encourage home birth? That in Canada, the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, etc. home birth is considered a viable birthing option and is encouraged for low-risk mothers by official medical organizations?

Do you also realize that the nightmarish circumstances that can be fatal during birth (cord prolapse, placental abruption, nuchal cord) are no less of a risk at a hospital than they are at home?
When are we hanging out?? You are amazing!! I <3 you already!! LOL