View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Regular
Quote:
you realize that most statistics from the CDC or AMA are going to be deliberately slanted against home births, right?
I could maybe see why the AMA would put a tilt on statistics due to a vested financial interest, but not the CDC - it is a government agency that gets funded to collect and distribute accurate information with no interest other than the public health.

Quote:
I'm sure you would agree with me that it would be unfair to claim that because there are doctors like this who exist, ALL doctors must be like that or ALL hospital births must be traumatic. Midwifery and home birth is no different.
I do agree that there are both good doctors and bad doctors, and there are good midwives and bad midwives. In fact, I believe most midwives are wonderful, and the ones that are properly trained are fantastic.

Quote:
Do you realize that the US is the only western country that does not universally support and encourage home birth? That in Canada, the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, etc. home birth is considered a viable birthing option and is encouraged for low-risk mothers by official medical organizations?
Those countries have a system where highly trained nurse-midwives attend homebirths, and they rigourously exclude high-risk mothers from home births. I wish we had a system like that in the USA.

Quote:
Do you also realize that the nightmarish circumstances that can be fatal during birth (cord prolapse, placental abruption, nuchal cord) are no less of a risk at a hospital than they are at home?
This is where I disagree with you. These rare and horrible events may occur just as frequently in a hospital as they do at home, but in a hospital they result in emergency c-sections and the baby is much more likely to survive.

Last edited by LadyMorgan; March 26th, 2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: mispelling