View Single Post
March 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMorgan View Post
Those countries have a system where highly trained nurse-midwives attend homebirths, and they rigourously exclude high-risk mothers from home births. I wish we had a system like that in the USA.

This is where I disagree with you. These rare and horrible events may occur just as frequently in a hospital as they do at home, but in a hospital they result in emergency c-sections and the baby is much more likely to survive.
To the first point - there are LOTS of CPMs and lay midwives who refuse to attend high-risk home births too. It's an enormously huge generalization to suggest otherwise. Many of them follow the exact same criteria that CNMs and midwives in other western countries do.

To the second point - I'm not sure if you simply didn't read any of the links I've already provided or if you're pretending not to have, but the fact of the matter is that in the vast majority of those situations, there is ample warning ahead of time or present risk factors that would detectable by a good midwife. If they were to occur unexpectedly in the last 10 minutes or labor, it would be extremely difficult to prepare a patient for and perform a c-section in time even at the hospital. Midwives are generally equipped with just as effective resuscitation equipment as would be available at the hospital. Furthermore, there are many situations in which an emergency c-section is performed either a) as a result of unnecessary medical interventions or b) when there isn't really an "emergency" at hand. There are absolutely situations in which a c-section is mandatory and in those situations I am SO thankful that we have the medical technology to accomplish them; there are far more c-sections that were either not medically necessary in the first place or that wouldn't have been if the hospital didn't perform unnecessary interventions and jack up the mother's natural labor process.

I realize that everyone wants to believe that they can make their birth risk-free, but that's really not possible. We can minimize risks and be prepared for known risk factors, but the fact of the matter is that there's ALWAYS going to be a risk involved. It's not something I like to think about, but it's the truth. You don't have to agree with me about which path holds the least risk (which, IMO, won't be the same path for every mama and every baby) but I will ask again that you stop disparaging and criticizing mothers who make the choice to birth at home.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!