View Single Post
March 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Based on a True Story
Whether the statistics are "compelling" to you or not, they're still almost laughably incomplete and therefore invalid entry into a debate. You have backed up your argument with no other reliable sources, so it seems a little hasty to say that home birth isn't as safe as hospital birth. That may be your opinion, but it's based on very little.

Let's play a game with statistics, shall we?

Of the women on my facebook friend's list:

152 women gave birth in the last 4 years.

15 of them participated in pre-planned home births. The rate of infant mortality in these instances was 0%

137 of the women were pre-planned hospital births. The rate of infant mortality in these instances was 1.45%

From these results, clearly the infant mortality rate was higher in the instance of hospital birth, deeming it therefore less safe than home birth.

See how that works?

Now, are my statistics scientific, complete or even remotely valid? You tell me! But my guess is "probably not" since I got this information off of facebook in the incredibly scientific manner of "remembering and messaging a few people."

My point is that stand alone statistics prove nothing without taking into account the manner of data collection, those in charge of data recording and a vast number of other variables. I'm surprised you would make such an "informed" decision based on some numbers in a Word document.

And frankly, I think it's unfair to the other women on this board who have truly researched this from every angle. I am admittedly not one of these people since home birth is not something I want to experience, however I take issue when people look down their noses at the choices of others without any factual evidence to back up their disdain.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.