View Single Post
March 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a brief career before getting pregnant. I have a Master of Science degree in a field of environmental science, I was in a PhD program but decided it wasn't for me, it was a somewhat extreme decision because I was deep into it, almost done with classes, passed my qualifying exams and about to convene a committee and defend my topic proposal. But the pressure was getting to me and I didn't want the life I saw ahead on that path. So I left with a master's, worked in consulting and then government for a few years. I feel like I have a lot of knowledge and training that I am not using too much right now, but I know it will still be back there somewhere. I can still discuss the ideas. Like I remember there was a theorem proving X but can't remember what it was called.

I am planning to wait until the youngest (whenever we are done lol... hopefully 3 or 4 total!) is in school, then do some community college classes to brush up my skills. The software tools will be new and different, so I will get up to date on the latest mapping, data analysis/visualization, office/spreadsheet/database, and maybe some Illustrator or similar, software. Then I will probably try to get a job working for a lab at the local university as a research assistant or research scientist of some kind, maybe in biology, earth science, or some kind of data heavy social sciences. My dad is a professor there so I will have contacts through him, he has indicated it would be pretty easy to get me a job in one of his buddy's labs. I am not super ambitious to get a PhD and do big time research of my own. I have realized that I am happier when I just have some data to explore and analyze and write up, the busywork!, but I hate dealing with conferences and presentations, networking and politics, getting funding, and generally having responsibility