View Single Post
March 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keakie View Post
Do you also realize that the nightmarish circumstances that can be fatal during birth (cord prolapse, placental abruption, nuchal cord) are no less of a risk at a hospital than they are at home?
Yikes, this is a long thread and it will take me a while to read it all, if I do. However, I wanted to comment on this. One of these nightmarish circumstances happened to me during my last birth. When my water broke I had a cord prolapse (or partial prolapse? not sure) where the cord washed down and got trapped by my baby's head. I had the external fetal monitor on, thank God, so they could see/hear that Hannah's heartbeat was dropping drastically. With only a couple of contractions her heart practically *stopped* and was inaudible. My midwife (though I was in a hospital) started screaming into the monitor "Get the doctor!! Get the doctor!!" to the nurses at the desk. It was flipping terrifying. Here I was, my baby was perfectly healthy and so close to being born, and I was afraid she was going to die right there before I met her because her cord was trapped. The midwife told me to flip over and get on all fours. I did and nothing really happened. But I realized what was going on (though they didn't actually take time to tell me) and I decided to put my chest right down on the bed to try to get the baby to slide up. So I was on my chest with my butt high in the air and on my knees when the baby's heart started beating again. Thank God!! But I was terrified and didn't dare move. The dr. was there it seemed in literally like 2 minutes. My midwife was the one on call and in the hospital that day, though, so I think he was seeing patients across the street in the office and so he must have literally run across the street and into the hospital to get to me. He was obviously relieved to see that though I was in a very awkward position (with the midwife's hand up my hoo ha probably b/c she was afraid to move), the baby's heart rate was stable. So he explained that they were prepping for surgery right now and they gave me a shot to stop the contractions (which was like magic - so weird), had me sign for the c-section (with my face pressed on the bed and I could barely write. lol). The scary thing again was that they had to take me off the monitor to get me to the operating room. So as soon as they detached the monitor, someone threw a sheet over my butt and they wheeled me to the OR. Fast. They were pushing it so fast they missed the doorway a little and rammed the bed into the door frame. So I got in there and THE most frightening part was that we all knew I had to get flipped over on my back again to give me the anesthesia and obviously to start the c-section. We didn't know if the cord would be trapped again in that position and if the baby would make it until she could be born. The flipped me over and my gown flew open so my boobs were hanging out (nobody batted an eye), I was crying my face off and mumbling prayers. One of the nurses appeared over my head (upside down to me) and held both sides of my face and said "it's going to be OK." I love that woman and will always remember her doing that. Then they told me to take deep breaths from the gas mask to put me out and I was fading out as I felt someone pressing on my throat and saying "I need something-or-other" as they started to stick something down my throat. The next thing I knew, I woke up an hour or so later and it was so weird. It felt like no time had passed at ALL. It felt like it was the very next second. So I started bawling my face off immediately when my husband was there holding the baby and saying "Hannah's right here. She's OK. See? She's blonde!!" I could barely see straight from the drugs and could also hardly hold my head up so I just put my head back down and bawled some more. I was so relieved and completely overwhelmed by what just happened.

So I don't know why I felt the need to go into such detail with that story. But I guess it shows you that statistics are a bit different than when it *does* happen to you. Chances were very slim that I would ever experience a cord prolapse. But I did. And my perfectly healthy baby almost died. I have actually considered home birth in the past and so I have thought to myself many times, what. if. I was at home... Let me tell you, I couldn't even tell the baby's cord was trapped. Couldn't feel it. If it had happened to me at home, I would have had no idea and my baby's heart would have stopped. And if the midwife would have realized it while I was at home, I have serious doubts I would have made it to the hospital with my baby's heart still beating.

My issue is, yes, chances are slim that this or that will happen. They are! But if it DOES happen, sometimes being in the hospital or at home is a matter of life or death. Babies can die in hospitals, too, but if that happened (God forbid!) I probably wouldn't blame myself for the rest of my life. If it happened at home and my baby would have lived if I were already at a hospital, I couldn't live with that.

I even think that sometimes, some doctors (not all) make decisions that are NOT best for mom or baby. Decisions to induce, to break your water, to do whatever intervention seems like a great idea at the time, which will actually increase the chance of something bad happening. But the irony is, whether something bad happens because of bad decision making or a fluke, the hospital staff is better equipped to SAVE your baby (or your life).

And I think it's very important to remember that you can seriously minimize the risks of giving birth in the hospital by saying no to any interventions you aren't comfortable with. Yet you are still at the hospital, *in case* of an emergency. I think that's the whole point of being there... *in case.* If all goes well, then do your thing and they don't need to do much more than monitor the baby and wait. I've given birth 3 times like that and it was great. I think now more than ever, doctors and hospital staff are understanding and willing to do what they can to accommodate women during labor. But if you are home and an emergency happens, sometimes emergencies can't wait another 5-10 minutes to get to the hospital. Go figure!

That's my 2 cents.

doh - I didn't even see Babybear's last post until just now. Hope it was OK for me to share my story.

[/url]