View Single Post
March 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Hiya!
I actually am one who loves to have that "other part" of me besides mom and wife. I still communicate with people I worked with before I had Liam and I fully plan to return to school/work after my youngest child is in school (we are still thinking four kids, possibly). It helps "keep me smart." Lol. I always feel slightly intellectually slow if I don't engage in conversations outside parenting. So I still try to keep up on new psychology, laws, and updates in my field. And it helps that one co-worker has a child now and we do play dates and talk shop a lot

I would like to get my Masters in social work when the kids are older and I do wish to work with the same population I was working with before I left. Pregnant addicts combines a lot of my interests into one...the addiction counseling aspect, the interest in pregnancy and needing to know the ins and outs of it and its potential complications, the teaching of the clients how to parent effectively after the child is born, etc. It was emotionally difficult sometimes, but also very fulfilling. I look forward to going back some day. Just not today!

I also feel that I might be intended to make some kind of difference in the world of eating disorders. I am often asked to attend medical symposiums at Johns Hopkins involving outcomes and treatments, given I was treated there and am fully recovered. It feels like maybe I went through it all for a reason...but I don't know what that reason is. I don't know how to really make a difference using where I was and where I am now. But if something ever comes up, on a more personal level (although I have done two or three grand rounds at the hospital and have spoken to current patients about recovery), I think I'll try to do something related to it. I could never do public speaking though, so that option is out. Lol.