View Single Post
March 30th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I DO think there needs to be some regulation in ALL states. Specifically, I think all parents should be required to register their children as homeschooled. I also think that parents should be required to prove they have purposely taught their children over the school year. Be it with photos and a portfolio, a test, or other method of evaluation. I do not think that parents should have to teach to a specific set of regulations like in PA or NY though. I think it should be largely open, so long as they prove they are teaching and their children are progressing to some degree or another. I think VA has it pretty well done, in that you send your NOI and prove progress at the end of each year. That's it. Simple! I don't think you should have to have a high school diploma or otherwise though. (Although there is the option to prove you have the ability to home educate by way of a well written letter which demonstrates mastery of the English language, so I suppose that does rule out the necessity of a diploma.) Anyway... I just think it should be 100% easy to homeschool, but also 100% impossible to neglect your children's education. As nice as unschooling sounds, I have yet to meet an unschooled grad who loved math enough that they "explored" it and taught it to themselves well enough to not need remedial to enter their college courses. Similarly with English/grammar. There has to be a baseline standard in the math/english cores, which VA has. I like it here... even though I would love to be able to just homeschool my kids without telling the government anything, like in TX, LOL.