View Single Post
March 31st, 2013, 09:26 PM
Learning to walk in faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
But, whatever info you may have, I think you should post it here for all to see since it's relevant to the discussion, right? Why not? *shrug*

BTW, I understand certain people bowing out of this conversation if they are stressed out. That's totally fine. But I think implying that the whole conversation should be shut down because some people would rather not participate, is not necessary considering some others might benefit from discussing it. It shouldn't be a forbidden topic, right? It's a big decision that a lot of women are considering and all these points provide important food for thought.
I think that the issue is that we have a member who lost a baby during childbirth. There's no real way to tastefully continue the conversation from a pro-homebirth point of view without minimizing her experience or saying something that sounds like she was at fault in some way - which, for the record, I absolutely DO NOT think she was (on the contrary, it sounds to me based on what she's shared here, very poor decisions were made by multiple care providers). I am heartbroken for her loss. I just know that when I was considering how to respond to other posts, it was hard to come up with something that couldn't possibly be interpreted to be dismissive or passive aggressive, and for me (and I'm assuming for others too) I would rather walk away from the conversation than risk salting some painful wounds for someone else. Does that make sense? The thread has shifted from the hypothetical to very personal, and that leaves a lot of potential for things to become emotional or heated in an extra big way and I think, as a board, that's something most of us would really like to avoid.

You were asking My3His1, not me, and her answer is likely more in depth than mine but one of the common techniques I've heard of is midwives would put a mother in the same position (bottom up, chest down) and have her stay that way until an ambulance arrives and she could be transported to the hospital for a c-section. What I meant in the post you initially quoted regarding those terrible situations being "no more of a risk in a hospital than at home" was that while they ARE the kind of thing that can happen very quickly and without warning and they DO require swift intervention, being at the hospital doesn't mean the intervention is immediate either. Maternity wards and surgery wards are not always close together, so most patients would need to be moved (and before being moved, the hospital would need to verify that there was room in the surgery ward, anesthesiologists and doctors who were ready to go and prep the mother for surgery, which can take varying lengths of time depending how far apart the wards are and whether the mother has been medicated at all already). That's all assuming that the hospital DOES have room and available personnel and doesn't have to transfer the mother elsewhere or wait for an anesthesiologist or surgeon to come in. In the event of a home birth transfer, a midwife would call ahead to the hospital and explain the situation, so some of that could be taken care of before the mother even arrived (such as ensuring a spot was ready in the surgery ward and the equipment, anesthesiologist, doctors, etc. were all set).

What I was getting at was that BOTH would be terrifying situations in which time was of the essence, but neither was necessarily inherently "better" universally. I think there are some who assume that hospitals are risk-free, and the reality is that nothing is risk-free. It's not a happy or comforting thought, but it is what it is. All that we can do is weigh all of the risks and go with the choice that we feel works best for us (and the care provider who we feel most comfortable with). For some mamas, that means a home birth. For others, that means a birth center birth. For others, that means a hospital birth. For others, it means a planned c-section.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; April 1st, 2013 at 07:36 AM.