View Single Post
April 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know several of us are working on getting in shape and eating healthy right now so I was hoping we could start a thread to share some healthy recipes that we have tried and like

I will start by posting my favorite meal (it is really easy too!!)

Pistachio Baked Salmon

1 cup salted dry-roasted pistachio nuts
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I often use less so it is healthier - about 1/4 cup)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
6 6ounce skinless salmon fillets

1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Chop pistachios in a small food processor by pulsing quickly about 5 times (you want it to be small bits but not dust)
3. In a small bowl combine pistachio nuts, brown sugar , lemon juice set aside
4. Place salmon fillets on greased foil lined cookie sheet
5. Spoon pistachio mixture evenly on each filet
6. Gently press nut mixture onto fish to form a top crust
7. Bake 15 minutes

If you are cooking for just for 2 these freeze really well for meals later so I always make 6 and freeze 4 by wrapping them individually in clear saran wrap then placing in a freezer zip lock bag. When you go to warm them again you just pull them out of the wrap and defrost them in the microwave using the defrost setting then on full power for about 2 minutes and they are still delicious!

The side I normally make with this is :

Stewed tomato and Okra (I made this up so it is not very exact)

Frozen Okra (I usually use a 1 lb bag)
2 cans diced tomatoes

1. Heat up olive oil in a deep pan and then pour in frozen okra
2. Heat in the pan for about 5 minutes until they are fairly cooked and no longer appear frozen
3. Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, a dash of vineger, and a dash of sugar, salt, and pepper
4. Bring to a boil and then lower temperature to simmer for about 15 minutes

This freezes well too! So I usually divide it into 3 parts and eat 1/3 the first night and place the other in 2 bags to eat with the remaining meals of salmon I have made. To defrost I just throw it back in a pot with a lid and stir occasionally (it usually heats up by the time the salmon is done in the microwave)

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

Last edited by momology; April 19th, 2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Changed Title to make easier to find