View Single Post
April 3rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
IMO, by yelling at you and disregarding you as and authority figure, they are teaching the kids that its okay to disrespect you. That also shows them that they can disrespect other adults because "they are not mom or grandma". I'm definitely with you on this one. Totally unfair and disrespectful.
100% agreed. If you mom really had an issue with anything, it would be only right to pull you aside and speak to you privately about it. To do this in front of them, or react in any way based on a phone call from a complaining child, is undermining you. She may mean well, but all she is doing is teaching them to be disrespectful to authority figures and to complain more. Unfortunately life isn't fair and doesn't work that way, so she's not exactly doing them any favors.

Quote:
Luckily for you, you mentioned moving out. To be frank, your sister and mom are going to have their hands FULL. If a nine year is lacking that kind of respect and manners, god help them in about 4 years.
If my son EVER spoke to his aunt or uncle, grandma, or ANY adult like that I would be livid!
Agreed here too. I don't even want to think about what this little boy is going to be like if things don't change.

And, yes, I'd be furious if my kids ever spoke to any adult family members or even close friends that way. Fortunately that's not an issue around here - my kids will listen and even address adults as Miss or Mr ______, not even by their first names unless they are asked to.