View Single Post
April 4th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesMommy12 View Post
I am a 27 year old single mom. My son is currently 7 months old. I am caucasian and his father is African American. His father made the choice not to be a part of his life. I worry about my son being uncomfortable with the fact that he doesn't look like me or anyone else in our family. I also want him to be in touch with his African American heritage, but I don't want to do things to emphasize the fact that his father chose not to be in his life. Any suggestions or tips?
Awesome that you want to keep his heritage at the fore of his life. Don't worry, you'll figure out a combination that works for you both as he grows up. It could be as simple as periodically attending a more multicultural house of worship, finding a mommy & me play group with AA families, and (we did this for our son who is 100% asian), getting him AA role models that he will continue to see and have a relationship with as he grows up: eg. pediatrician, dentist, barber, etc. Without even trying these people will become known as inherently "his" as he grows -- Jason's doctor, Jason's dentist, Jason's barber, etc., and they'll all LOOK like him. Again, sounds like you've got the right ideas, I think you'll figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

My background: I myself am mixed: black and asian; my DH is white, and our toddler son is asian (adopted).

Me: over 40; FSH (good); AMH (little low); E2 (great)
DH: over 40; good to go / great swimmers
DS: very active cute and funny
Meds: prenates, DHEA, CoQ10, D3, Omega3, Melatolin

1st IVF [Banking]: Antagonist w/ EPP
5/16 start EPP
5/25 baseline b/w & ultrasound
5/25 start stimming
6/06 ER