Topic: Pelvic Exams
View Single Post
April 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Hiya!
I think they can be just as hurtful as helpful, as someone mentioned. If you could handle hearing "no dilation at all" and not feel defeated...I think the compromise of 39 weeks is fine.

But if your planner personality would get discouraged at that, it might be best to just decline them and wait for baby to come on his own.

The ONE I had in Liam's pregnancy was in the hospital and I was told I was not dilated at all even though I was contracting (they were barely picking up on the monitor, but also were barely reading at 9cm, so it meant nothing). I had him about 40 hours after that check. I did not have any with Kieran and was fine with that. I hear both sides of the coin...labor starting out of nowhere with women who are "closed up tight" and women getting induced at 42 weeks even though they have been 3cm dilated for five weeks. I think it would just frustrate me to know, especially if I wasn't "doing what I wanted to be doing."

It's a tough call though. I do understand the desire to know. Even if it doesn't necessarily weigh on the outcome.