Topic: Pelvic Exams
View Single Post
April 5th, 2013, 03:27 PM
~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
I think they can be just as hurtful as helpful, as someone mentioned. If you could handle hearing "no dilation at all" and not feel defeated...I think the compromise of 39 weeks is fine.

But if your planner personality would get discouraged at that, it might be best to just decline them and wait for baby to come on his own.
Ditto. This is such a personal choice, and I think every mom's emotional needs are different.

You know I'm a planner too With my second I started dilating at 36 weeks. I asked to be checked every week from 36 weeks until he was born. Each week I was further dilated and more effaced. By the time I went into active labor at 41+ weeks (yes, 5 weeks later!) I was already 6 cm dilated and 90% effaced! To be honest, it made me feel a bit like a ticking time bomb... I don't plan to have any checks this time until at least 40 weeks... but who knows how I'll feel at that point I'm really hoping for less stress this time around, and I think, for me personally, It will be easier not knowing and just trusting.

If at 39 weeks you want to be checked, go for it! Just be prepared emotionally that you may not find anything, and that's *normal*. I'm so excited for you!