View Single Post
April 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey there! I had a very large SCH that ruptured when I was 15 weeks along. Before 24 weeks, there really is nothing that can be done. After 24 weeks, they'll try to stave off preterm labor and miscarriage if she shows signs. I have a blog in my signature you can check out with what happened with my SCH and there's an article in there that explains what they are. I was on bed rest for the entirety of my second trimester.

Basically, there are a few things that can happen with an SCH... it can bleed itself out, it can reabsorb, or it can form a clot and hang on and cause problems with the placenta. Much of this depends on its location. Is it up high, behind the placenta, down low near the cervix, or floating around anywhere in-between? I've discovered size doesn't so much matter as to the location. Thankfully, mine was down by my cervix and it bled itself out.

I know how terrified your sister probably is right now. For many weeks I woke up wondering if I'd go back to sleep and still be pregnant that evening. There's nothing I can really say to comfort her other than that a great majority of ladies I talked to who were in the same boat as I was now have healthy babies and mine resolved itself too. Tell her to do exactly what her body says: if she's tired, she needs to sit down; if she's crampy, she needs to lie down... Do not let her over-exert herself. But when the bleeding stops and she feels better, she's free to do whatever she pleases!

My Boring Blog