View Single Post
April 9th, 2013, 02:57 PM
(formerly junie22)
8 months old

Yep, eight months old! I haven't taken his monthly pics yet. I'll try to do it when I get home this evening, but it might have to wait until the weekend. I hate it when his monthly milestones fall on Monday-Wednesday.

SIL and BIL arrived around 3:00 yesterday afternoon. They were exhausted! BIL's grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago, so her funeral was the weekend before this past weekend. They had driven from Fort Worth (TX) to southwestern Missouri and back for that. Then they had to drive from Fort Worth to Omaha to drop off their dog with MIL. It would have been a lot easier if the dog could have caught a flight, but she's too old and frail. They were worried she wouldn't make it. Then they had to drive from Omaha to here. So they are really just wanting to veg out for the remainder of the week. They did the math and figured they've driven over 3,200 miles in less than two weeks!

Our weekend was good. I did a ton of laundry, and we bought a lot of groceries. We also accomplished plenty of cleaning and organizing, to try to make some room for the in-laws. This weekend, we're installing some shelving in our garage, which should help free up even more space. Even though I purged our wardrobe at the beginning of my pregnancy, it's apparent that I need to do a whole lot more purging. Perhaps two weekends from now.

On Saturday, Jack said his first real word! We actually think he'd been saying it for a week or so before Saturday, but it is just so obvious now. He babbles all the time, but he doesn't seem to correlate dada or mama to either of us. His first real word is...

"Kitty," which he pronounces "kee." He loves our cat. When she enters the room, his eyes light up and he gets so excited. He'll start moving back and forth and squeal. If he's on the floor, he lunges at her. If we're holding him, he tries to reach out for her. We will bring her over to him to pet her. He likes to massage her fur and give her kisses. She's not a very affectionate cat, but she purrs when he touches her. For most of the day, she camps out in our bedroom, usually under the bed or in the closet. I think this is why he always gets so excited to see her, since she's kind of elusive. Every time she enters the room, we say, "It's the kitty!" Well, lately, Jack started saying, "kee" when he spots her. He said it so quietly at first that we didn't really think anything of it. On Saturday, it was just so obvious, looking right at her and saying, "kee." Then he did it again, and again, and again. Every time he sees her now.

His second tooth has also sprouted. It started surfacing on Friday, and the tip broke through over the weekend. While I'm going to miss his gummy grin, those little teeth are so cute!

Yesterday I had lunch with my pregnant friend from work. The plan was to have a picnic at the little park on campus, but it was horribly windy yesterday. Dust and debris was blowing everywhere! So we had a picnic in my office instead. Jack played with a bunch of toys on the blanket while she and I sat and ate lunch. He was such a good little boy and a flirt as usual.

I'm also happy to report that he is exclusively napping in his crib now. Those 3 1/2 months that DH got to spend with him were certainly priceless, but DH really spoiled him when it came to napping. It surprisingly didn't take much correcting for me to get him to nap in his crib. I credit daycare with helping out in that regard.

So this morning, he woke up at 5:30. I changed him, got him dressed for the day, and then we headed downstairs so I could pump. SIL took over at 6:30, and I showered and got ready for the day. Then I nursed him to sleep before I left and transitioned him to his crib. The report when I got to work was that he napped for 40 minutes after I left, so that was almost an hour-long nap. A very good nap for him! SIL has sent me a few pics today, and she said he's just been a joy. I told her that as long as she keeps him on a rotating schedule of feeding, playing, changing diaper, and sleeping every 2-3 hours, he's a happy camper and a pretty darn easy baby. She's also been able to get him to nap in his crib, so I'm not sure what DH's problem is. I'm thinking he just likes to cuddle with Jack.

I'll post some monthly pics as soon as we get around to taking them.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.