View Single Post
April 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aw, hope you get that sticky bean soon!

You can check out some sample pages online at the Amazon page:Amazon.com: Waiting in Wonder: Growing in Faith While You're Expecting (9781400321070): Catherine Claire Larson: Books if you click the" look inside" tab. Each week begins with a description of developmental changes happening with baby and then mommy, and then gives you ideas of how to pray for your baby usually falling into categories of physical development, and future spiritual and character formation. Each day of the daily devotional begins with a Scripture passage and then a lead-in that ties that passage to some aspect of what a mother is facing in her pregnancy or a way she can prepare her heart to know God more or strengthen her marriage before the baby arrives. There are two questions following each devotional entry. The first leads the reader to meditate more on the Scripture and the devotional thought through journaling. The second guides her to record some milestone, prayer or love note to her growing baby.

One of the things I like about how it all came together is that it combines the best of the developmental guides, with a devotional, and a memory-keeping kind of keepsake for the baby. In that way, it's kind of like getting three pregnancy books in one.

As for writing, I don't know much about writing for the children's book market. But some principles hold true across genres. Practice, practice, practice your craft. (I wrote professionally for 7 years--and practiced every day the mechanics and creative discipline of showing up and having to create something every day.) The more you practice your craft, the better you'll become. And then my other bit of advice would be to seek out people in your area of interest who have had success and ask lots of questions. I found a good place to do that starting out were writers' conferences. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to find a good writers' group in your city to join.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the kind words and interest in the book!

Last edited by Psalm139; April 11th, 2013 at 08:02 PM.