Topic: Visitors
View Single Post
April 13th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran
I have a strong personality to begin with. I generally say what I want and those who know me, understand. Usually I don't have to though. My husband knows me probably better than I know myself! He is my biggest advocate.

It's good to find your advocate. Maybe you have a family member or friend that will stand up for you (usually the blunt loud mouths are good for that). If you're worried about stepping on toes, find that person who doesn't mind being your advocate and doing the dirty work.

Furthermore....your nurse really should do this for you. As a nurse, our jobs are to advocate for our patients. If that means ticking off family members in the best interest of the patient's health and well-being---so be it.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and raising their children. No one way is better than the other. The end product will be the same no matter what path you take, and never let anyone make you feel otherwise.